Established by the son, family and friends of Lila & Darnell Howard to recognize and preserve their legacy of generosity, community service and focus on the importance of a well-rounded education. The Howards both graduated from G.A.R. Memorial High School and called Wilkes-Barre home for over 60 years. They were well known for their respect toward others and dedication to helping the community through their philanthropy.
The Fund intends to provide a one-year, non-renewable, scholarship to a qualified Senior student each year. Eligible students are encouraged to apply. These include those who are residents of Wilkes-Barre, PA and will be graduating from a Wilkes-Barre, PA high school (either public, parochial, or private). Also eligible are Wilkes-Barre residents who are on scholarship to attend Wyoming Seminary, as well as qualified home-schooled students who are the equivalent of a graduating high school Senior.
As the Fund may grow over time, both the size and number of scholarships may increase. This is based on the advice and at the discretion of the Fund Advisors and the TLF Board of Directors.
This scholarship was established by the family and friends of Lila & Darnell Howard to recognize and preserve their legacy of respect toward others, community service and stressing the importance of a well-rounded education.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a graduating senior enrolled at a Wilkes-Barre, PA city high school;
- Must be a Wilkes-Barre, PA resident:
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree at any accredited 2 or 4-year college/university as a full-time student;
- Must show participation in a non-sport school activity within the past 2 years;
- Must show participation in a school or league sport within the past 2 years. Students who have routinely participated in or study martial arts, gymnastics, swimming or racquet sports within the past 2 years are also eligible. Waiver for medical or disability accepted; (Please call 570-822-2065 for more details on this);
- Must show participation in community, church or civic volunteer activity within the past 2 years;
- Must have a minimum 2.75 GPA.
What’s New for 2022:
The top 2022 Scholarship applicant will be recognized with:
“The 2022 Charles M. Barber Distinguished Scholar Award of the L&D Howard Scholarship Fund”
This special scholarship award was created to honor the legacy of leadership, dedication and excellence provided by Charles M. Barber, CEO emeritus of The Luzerne Foundation.
2021 Lila & Darnell Howard Scholarship Awards Presentation