Donated: 0% / $10,000.00
Now Accepting Scholarship Applications
Who should apply? Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a graduate from Crestwood High School, Mountain Top, PA or Quakertown Community High School, Quakertown, PA;
- Plans to enroll as an undergraduate in an accredited four-year college/university as a full-time student;
- The scholarship shall be awarded to the male or female student athlete who demonstrated the following qualities throughout high school:
- a) scholarship;
- b) sportsmanship and teamwork;
- c) dedication and commitment;
- d) perseverance and strong work ethic;
- e) character; and
- f) leadership
- Involvement in school and community activities and service shall also be considered in determining the recipient of the scholarship.
- Must maintain a minimum of 2.5 out of a 4.0 scale during their academic year 2
- Submit a fully completed and signed scholarship application as well as ALL required attachments:
- a. An official cumulative grade transcript through the most recent term
- b. A personal statement on why you merit this scholarship. (Typed, 12 pitch font, 2 pages, double-spaced). Your statement should include information that would help us in knowing you and in determining your eligibility or need, especially in recognition of the eligibility criteria for this scholarship (example: how your involvement in athletics benefited you as a person; work experience; reasons for choosing your professional or future goals.)
- c. Two letters of recommendation from non-family members (e.g., teachers, coaches, clergy, employers, etc.)
Established by the family and friends of Donald Joseph Shaw Jr. to recognize and preserve his legacy of generosity, service and focus on the importance of a quality education and participation in athletics.
Don graduated from Quakertown High School in 1983, and from Wilkes University in 1987 with a Bachelor’s in Political Science. He played on both soccer and baseball teams for Wilkes. He is a member of the Quakertown Sports Hall of Fame as well as the Wilkes University Sports Hall of Fame. He served as assistant coach for Wilkes University Men’s Soccer for 12 years. He also served as coach for the White Haven Baseball’s T-ball, Little League, and Majors teams, and as assistant coach for Mountain Top American Legion baseball team. He was well known for his love of people, sense of humor, integrity, and passion for athletics.
The Fund will focus on those programs, services, and organizations that encourage youth to pursue a healthy and energetic lifestyle as well as the importance of education. Grants in Donald J. Shaw’s name and honor may be made to Wilkes University and local athletic groups in Luzerne County, but not exclusively.
Don J. Shaw 3rd Annual Memorial Golf Tournament
Individual Golfer Registration:
Join 3 others!
Join 3 others!
Dinner Only Registration:
Be the first!
Join 2 others!