The form does not have Goals enabled.
Now Accepting Scholarship Applications
Who should apply? Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Student must be a current senior enrolled at a Wilkes-Barre, PA city high school: Meyers; GAR; Coughlin: Holy Redeemer; W-B Career Tech; Wyoming Seminary (Wilkes-Barre residency) and/or any successor high school as may be created due to any future consolidation. Qualified home-schooled seniors residing in Wilkes-Barre are also eligible. Student must be in good overall school standing and scheduled to graduate on time with their designated class.
- Student must plan to attend an accredited 2 or 4-year College or Technical school the immediate fall semester following his or her high school graduation, as a “Full-Time” student.
- Student must have maintained a minimum 2.75 GPA or higher throughout his or her final two years in high school. Student must provide record of academic achievement, record of junior & senior year grades, class rank, standardized and achievement test scores.
- Student must provide documentation of participation in a non-sport school activity within the past 2 years. Examples include Music Education, Glee Club, Drama Club, IT or AV Club, Student Council, Debate or Language team, etc.
- Student must provide documentation of participation in a school or league sport within the past 2 years. Students who have routinely participated in or study Martial Arts, Gymnastics, Swimming or Racquet sports within the past 2 years are also eligible. Waiver for medical or disability accepted.
- Student must provide documentation of participation in community, church or civic volunteer activity within the past 2 years. Work history should also be documented.
- The student will provide two written reference letters: One from a non-relative: Teacher / School Advisor, and One from a non-relative: Coach / Mentor / Work Supervisor or Clergy member.
- Student must provide a typed essay (500 words maximum). The essay theme should address “How will I use my education to help make my community a better place to live.”
- Student must complete and submit the “Expected Family Contribution” (“EFC”) page from the FAFSA Application. The full FAFSA and family financial information must be provided upon request from TLF.
- This scholarship is a one-time award and is not renewable. Previous scholarship recipients may not re-apply.
Established by the son, family and friends of Lila & Darnell Howard to recognize and preserve their legacy of generosity, community service and focus on the importance of a well-rounded education. The Howards both graduated from G.A.R. Memorial High School and called Wilkes-Barre home for over 60 years. They were well known for their respect toward others and dedication to helping the community through their philanthropy.
The Fund intends to provide a one-year, non-renewable, scholarship to a qualified Senior student each year. Eligible students are encouraged to apply. These include those who are residents of Wilkes-Barre, PA and will be graduating from a Wilkes-Barre, PA high school (either public, parochial, or private). Also eligible are Wilkes-Barre residents who are on scholarship to attend Wyoming Seminary, as well as qualified home-schooled students who are the equivalent of a graduating high school Senior.
As the Fund may grow over time, both the size and number of scholarships may increase. This is based on the advice and at the discretion of the Fund Advisors and the TLF Board of Directors.